Daniel is a litigator focused on guiding corporate clients through the aftermath of major casualties and ensuing litigation, as well as representing companies in complex commercial disputes. He has assisted clients based throughout the continental U.S., U.S. Territories, and the Pacific Rim in the areas of maritime tort defense, Jones Act claim defense, maritime collision litigation, vessel arrest and release, US Coast Guard casualty and MARPOL investigations, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) procedure and appeals, commercial fraud investigations and litigation, real estate litigation, creditors’ rights and collections, construction litigation, and other commercial disputes. Daniel has aggressively sought favorable results for his clients at all levels, including through state, territorial, and federal appeals, but always with an eye towards efficient and cost-effective resolution.
Daniel’s legal experience includes four years as a litigation attorney at Idaho’s oldest and largest law firm, Hawley Troxell Ennis & Hawley LLP, where he also clerked during law school. Prior to that, he served as a judicial clerk for Justice Jim Jones of the Idaho Supreme Court. Daniel attended law school at the University of Idaho College of Law, where he served as a legal writing teaching assistant and lead articles editor for the Idaho Law Review. He won awards during law school for excellence in academic performance, legal research and writing, and negotiation. Prior to entering law school, Daniel worked as a print journalist for newspapers in Idaho and Washington.
Reported Cases & Scholarship
- Mena v. Idaho State Bd. of Medicine, 160 Idaho 56, 368 P.3d 999 (2016)
- Co-Author, Idaho Construction Lien and Bond Law, Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law (3rd Ed. 2016)
- Employer on the Web Wire: Balancing the Legal Pros and Cons of Online Employee Screening, 46 Idaho L. Rev. 733 (2010)
- 2011 University of Idaho Alumni Association Award for Excellence
- 2009 Idaho Trial Lawyers Association Excellence in Legal Research and Writing Award
- B.A. (Cum Laude), English, Print Journalism, Pacific Lutheran University
- J.D. (Cum Laude), University of Idaho College of Law
- Associate Attorney, Hawley Troxell, Boise, Idaho
- Judicial Clerk, Justice Jim Jones, Idaho Supreme Court, Boise, Idaho
- Summer Associate, Pratt Day & Stratton PLLC, Tacoma, Washington
- Admitted to practice in Idaho, American Samoa, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit